To be a strong leader, it is important to have qualities such as assertiveness, intelligence, adaptability and conscientiousness. Leaders who are positive, inspiring and who develop follows are better leaders.
Here are some tips to help you become a better leader.
– Some people let leadership go to their heads, but always remember there is no “I” in Team. Some take advantage of the power they may have over others. A good leader will realise they are part of a team and cannot succeed if they fail to get the most out of there team members.
– Provide inspirational motivation to encourage your team members, just genuinely being passionate about ideas or goals, can show motivation. Also help your team feel included in the process, praise and reward people for their accomplishments.
– Give respect to get respect. Put yourself in their shoes, if you treat others the same way you would want to be treated by a leader, things will go a lot easier on behalf of your team being happy with your leadership.
– Encourage others to make contributions, let them know that you welcome their ideas. Whilst you still retain the final say, encouraging your team member’s contribution to ideas or plans can lead to more creative problem solving and improved productivity.
– Always have a positive attitude. If you have an upbeat, optimistic attitude then so will your team. If you don’t have a positive attitude, members of the group are likely to also become uninspired.
– Walk the walk and talk the talk. Serve as a role model to your team, exemplify your behaviours and characteristics that you want to encourage throughout your team. Your group members will admire this and work to emulate these behaviours. Really work on providing the same qualities that you want to see in your team.
If you want to learn more on how to be a good leader, why not attend one of our Leadership Training Courses.