This 4 day course is intended for IT professionals, business analysts, and developers who need to implement data transfer, or ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load), solutions using Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (“SSIS”).
You will learn about the SQL Server Data Tools (“SSDT”) development environment to create SSIS projects and packages, work with Control Flow Tasks, and design Data Flows using a variety of transformations and data sources/destinations (including SQL Server databases, flat files, and Excel) in SQL Server 2014.
You will also learn about SSIS project and package management, deployment, debugging, error handling, and logging techniques. The training is delivered with plenty of illustrated examples and augmented with practical hands-on exercises.
With the course structure being fully modularised, customised versions of this course can also be devised and delivered. For example, clients interested in only the essentials of SSIS could attend just the first 3 days of the course, omitting the Advanced SSIS Concepts ordinarily covered on day 4.
This course can be run at our London, Manchester and Guildford training centre. We also frequently provide SQL Server training at our customer’s offices. Download the course details
Upon successful completion of this course, delegates will be able to:
- Understand the Role SQL Server Integration Services Plays in Business Intelligence
- Create and Develop Integration Services Projects and Packages in SSDT
- Understand and Implement Control Flow Tasks
- Understand and Implement Data Flow Transforms and Components
- Implement Logging
- Debug and Implement Error Handling
- Implement Checkpoints and Transactions
- Deploy Integration Services Projects
- Manage and Secure Integration Services Projects and Packages
- Understand Basic Data Warehousing Concepts
- Manage Changing Data with the SSIS CDC Components
- Understand the Role of Data Quality Services (DQS)
- Understand the Role of Master Data Services (MDS)
No prior knowledge of the subject matter is assumed. However, students should ideally be familiar with basic programming concepts, and understand the fundamental design of relational databases and data normalization.
Some prior working knowledge of SQL Server 2014, and the use of SQL Server Management Studio, is assumed. Attendees should additionally be familiar with the SQL query language, in particular the SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE statements.
Our courses run from 9.30 am to approximately 4.15pm. While you are with us we are focused on offering you a relaxed and productive learning environment. When you book a course with use you get the following:
- A full colour training manual/book.
- The exercises that you have worked on during your course to allow you to practice afterwards.
- USB stick to take the exercises away.
- Certificate of attendance
- Freshly prepared lunch.
- Refreshments throughout the day.
- Training in fully air conditioned facilities from an experienced instructor.
- Using the Import/Export Data Wizard
- Using SSDT to Explore a Package
- Exploring the SSDT Development Environment
- Creating a New SSIS Project and Package in SSDT Connection Managers
- Introduction to Control Flow Tasks
- Precedence Constraints
- File System Task
- Script Task
- Execute SQL Task
- Execute Process Task
- Expression Task
- Send Mail Task
- FTP Task
- Execute Package Task
- Using the Data Flow Task
- Introduction to Data Flow Transforms and Components
- Exploring Data Sources
- Exploring Data Destinations
- Data Conversion Transform
- Derived Column Transform
- Implementing Data Viewers
- Aggregate Transform
- Sort Transform
- Lookup Transform
- Row Count Transform
- Union All Transform
- The Script Component
- Conditional Split Transform
- OLE DB Command Transform
- Fuzzy Lookup Transform
- Fuzzy Grouping Transform
- Implementing Variables and Expressions
- Implementing Parameters
- Sequence Container For
- Loop Container
- Foreach Loop Container
- Logging Package Execution
- Using Event Handlers
- Implementing Breakpoints
- Create and Configure the SSIS Catalog Project Deployment
- Configure Deployed Projects and Packages Securing SSIS Packages
- Running Packages
- Scheduling Package Execution
- Master Packages Restarting Packages
- Package Transactions & Checkpoints
- Data Warehousing Basics
- The Data Profiling Task
- Loading Dimension Tables
- Using the Slowly Changing Dimension Transform
- Loading Fact Tables
- Loading Data Incrementally
- Using SSIS CDC Components
- Introducing Data Quality Services (DQS)
- Introducing Master Data Services (MDS)