This SPSS training course will teach you the fundamentals of using SPSS. SPSS is the data management software package produced by IBM and makes statistical data analysis straightforward. It functionality ranges from simple plots and charts, through to much more sophisticated statistical tests. Although very broadly applicable, SPSS is very well-suited to analysing survey data.
This course is instructor led. It involves working on a number of practical, hands on examples and exercises in a workshop environment. It is taught by SPSS trainers with many years of experience. Our hands-on courses mean that you will leave with lots of practical SPSS experience so that you return to the office a confident user of SPSS. Download the course details
This course is focused on teaching the fundamentals of SPSS. By the end of this course, you will be a confident user of SPSS. You will be able to perform basic statistical analyses, data checking and create simple tables and charts.
This course will allow you to work independently with SPSS on your own data and provides a solid foundation for more advanced data analysis work.
It is recommended that students have basic experience with the Windows operating system and some understanding of statistical analysis.
Our courses run from 9.30 am to approximately 4.3opm.
We do not have a dress code. Please come wearing whatever you are most comforable in.
While you are with us we are focused on offering you a relaxed and productive learning environment. You do not need to bring anything with you. When you book a course all of the following are included:
- SPSS course manual or book
- The exercises that you have worked on during your course to allow you to practice afterwards.
- USB stick to take the exercises away
- Freshly prepared lunch in our onsite cafeteria.
- Refreshments though out the day.
- Training in fully air conditioned facilities from an experienced SPSS instructor.
- Certificate of attendance
The key topics trained are:
- Brief introduction to the SPSS user interface
- Importing SPSS and excel files
- Setting and understanding variable attributes [labels, missing values etc]
The key topics trained include:
- Summarising categorical variables [frequencies procedure]
- Summarising continuous variables [descriptives procedure]
- Understanding simple statistics: Mean, Median, Standard Deviation
- The concept of significance testing
- Uncovering relationships between variables with Crosstabs using chi square
- Comparing groups with a one way ANOVA
The key concepts trained in this section are:
- Defining filters with ‘Select Cases’
- Generating separate outputs with the ‘Split File’ command
- Recoding Variables
- Creating new variables with the ‘Compute’ procedure
- Merging files together – adding cases, adding variables
SPSS is such a large in depth package the course can vary on how much can be covered.
All of the topics above will definitely be covered and the trainer will try to fit in as many as possible from this list:
- Importing other data formats [as needed]
- Copying variable formats – from other variables/from other files
- Identifying duplicated cases
- Automatic recode [transforming text to numeric]
- Creating time series/defining dates and times
- Aggregating data
- Producing counts [e.g. how many valid responses to a set of questions]
- Analysing the relationship between two continuous variables with correlation coefficients
- Using chart builder to produce graphs
- Managing output tables within SPSS