Master the essential skills of maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server on this 3-day course.
Concise and hands-on this course will get you confidently managing a SQL Server. It includes plenty of time to experiment with the concepts that you are being taught so that you can try things out for yourself.
By the time you finish, you’ll be comfortable independently looking after a SQL Server.
✔ A complete introduction to all of the techniques required to manage a SQL Server.
✔ Plenty of one to one attention and time to ask questions.
✔ Friendly expert trainers, small groups and a comfortable place to learn.
✔ All the materials and extras that you’ll ever need.
✔ Ongoing support and help with issues you have after the course.
What Will I Learn?
By the end of this course you will have covered:
- Installing MS SQL Server
- Configuring server instances and databases.
- Transaction logs.
- Creating and maintaining indexes.
- Managing SQL Server security, at both the server and database level.
- Moving and protecting data when import or exporting between heterogeneous data sources.
- Backing up to external media.
- Restoring data from a backup.
- Automation of day to day administration taasks.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting SQL Server performance and related issues.
This course will give you a comprehensive insight into the infrastructure and architecture of SQL Server. This will allow you to fully understand the product that you are managing.
Am I Ready For This Course?
This course assumes that you already have some experience of working in the Microsoft Windows Server operating system environment.
You should also have an understanding of the fundamental design of relational databases including the purpose of primary and foreign keys, entity relationships, and data normalization.
A working knowledge of the SQL language will also be assumed.
The Training Day
Our courses run from 9.30am to roughly 4.15pm with refreshments throughout the day and a break for lunch.
We offer a relaxed, supportive learning environment, fully air-conditioned training facilities and some of the best instructors on the planet.
Also, you’ll receive:
✔ A full-colour manual covering everything in the course so that you can recap.
✔ A USB stick for the course exercises to let you practice more in your own time.
✔ A Certificate of Attendance.
- Overview of SQL Server 2014
- Preparing for an Installation (optional)
- Installing SQL Server 2014 (optional)
- Configuring Instance-Level Settings
- Creating and Managing Files and Filegroups
- Configuring Databases
- Managing Log Files
- SQL Server Index Architecture
- Creating and Modifying Indexes
- Managing Index Fragmentation
- Understanding and Managing Statistics
- Managing Logins and Server Roles
- Managing Users and Database Roles
- Assigning and Managing Permissions
- Using Schemas
- Overview of Copying and Exporting Data
- Using BCP to Import and Export Data
- BULK INSERT
- SELECT INTO
- Using the SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
- Introducing SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Understanding Database Recovery Models
- Understanding Backup Types
- Backup Options
- Backup to URL
- Encrypted Backups
- Performing Database and Log Backups Backing Up System Databases
- Viewing Backup History
- Restoring Database and Log Backups Restoring System Databases
- Overview of SQL Server Automation
- The SQL Server Agent Service
- Configuring Credentials and Proxy Accounts
- Implementing Jobs
- Implementing Operators and Notifications Implementing Alerts
- Maintenance Plans
- Introduction to Monitoring SQL Server
- Using DMVs and DMFs
- Activity Monitor
- Performance Monitor
- SQL Server Profiler
- Introduction to Extended Events Diagnosing Common Issues
- Understanding Transactions
- Understanding SQL Server Lock Management
- Diagnosing Concurrency Issues