This 1 day (Structured Query Language) SQL training course will rapidly give you a thorough grounding in the basics of SQL. It will show you the key features and capabilities of SQL and get you using it as quickly as possible. The course covers elements of ANSI SQL using SQL Server as an example database.
To give delegates an introduction to the features and capabilities of Structured Query Language (SQL). The course covers elements of ANSI SQL using Microsoft SQL Server as an example database.
This course is suitable for anyone who wants to learn the basics of SQL whether using Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access, Oracle, MySQL, Google BigQuery or other database systems.
It is recommended that delegates have good experience of windows and some experience of relational databases.
This course is instructor-led. Each section begins with an explanation and demonstration of a key concept. You then work through several practical exercises to apply your knowledge and test your understanding.
We start this session with an overview of relational databases and how SQL works within that context. We also have a look at the database that we will be running out SQL queries on during this course and get comfortable with the interface.
The key topics trained are:
• The syntax of the SELECT statement
• Using the DISTINCT keyword
• ORDER BY
• Examples of WHERE criteria including wildcards, comparison operators, BETWEEN, LIKE, IN
• Performing mathematical calculations
• The types of functions available in SQL
• Useful date functions
• GetDate( )
• DateADD( )
• DateDIFF( )
• Conversion functions and their uses
• Column aliases
• How to write aggregate queries
• COUNT Vs Count(*)
• GROUP BY
• The principle of including data from multiple tables in queries
• Joining multiple tables in the FROM clause
• Different join types including INNER and OUTER joins and SELF joins